(Adam, Alyasa, Ayyub, Dawud, Dhulkifl, Harun, Hud, Ibrahim, Idris, Ilyas, Isa, Ishaq, Ismail, Lut, Muhammad, Musa, Nuh, Saleh, Shuaib, Sulayman, Yahya, Yaqub, Yunus, Yusuf, Zakariya)
Do you know what is Zakat-ul-Fitr?
Zakat-ul-Fitr is a type of charity given to poor people at the end of Ramadhan. All Muslims, men, women, children have to pay Zakat-ul-Fitr. Even for little children, parents need to pay. Itmust reach the poor after sighting the Moon of Eid-ul-Fitr and before praying Salat-ul-Eid. There are two reasons why this type of charity is obliged:
- To compensate for any mistakes that we may have committed during the month of Ramadhan. In this way, Allah gives us an opportunity to finish our fasts perfectly.
- To ensure that the people who are deprived are also a part of the happiness during Eid
Let’s DIY a Moon Sighting Binoculars!
On 29th and 30th of Ramadhan, let’s use these binoculars to look for sighting the moon of Eid-ul-Fitr.
- Two cardboard tubes
- Blue cellophane wrap
- Two small elastic bands
- 8.5 x 11″ sheet of felt paper (of your desired color)
- Small scrap of white paper
- Golden star stickers
- Purple yarn
- White glue
- Glue gun
Steps for making the binoculars
- Use anything circular (eg: small bangle) to trace a small crescent shape on the piece of white paper with a pencil.
- Cut it out using scissors.
- Cut two square pieces of cellophane.
- Stick the paper crescent to one of the cellophane pieces using glue.
- Secure both cellophane pieces to the cardboard tubes with elastic bands.
- Cut out two rectangles of felt paper to fit around each tube.
- Stick the felt paper to the tube using a glue gun.
- Cut out a piece of yarn and secure each end to the inside of the cardboard tubes with tape. Ensure to cut yarn long enough so that binoculars stay fit on your chest or tummy when worn around the neck.
- Decorate the binoculars using golden star stickers and let’s sight the moon!